Addiction is a mental disorder that makes you unable to stop using substances for whatever need. It harms you both physically and psychologically. It involves chronic dysfunction of the mind where you start losing memory, speaking ability, and so on. It gets heavy on you. You tend to enjoy it for the time being, but it takes you closer to the dark aspects of it with time.
There are a few ways mentioned to understand the behavior of an addicted person. The signs are:
1. Mixing with different kinds of people (who are not safe). You tend to spend more time with those who deal with drugs.
2. Spending time alone because you feel lonely or lost all the time.
3. Being lazy about everything. You don’t feel like bathing, changing your clothes, or going out.
4. Either you don’t eat, or you overeat. You lose track of time.
5. Missing important things related to your work, school, or any workplace. You fail to memorize the timing or important schedules you had made. When you’re high on opioids, your brain takes control over you.
Among all the addictions like cocaine cannabis, there stands opioid which is recently rapidly spreading. Let us learn more about opioid addiction.
What is Opioid dependence? What are its symptoms? How can it be cured?
Opioid dependence in America is a very crucial problem spreading overtimes. Opioid provides immediate relief to people from pain. It is a physical and psychological dependence once you get comfortable with the relief from pain.
Either by prescribed painkillers or illegal drugs like heroin, people get addicted to it. With time passing by, you get a dependency on opioids, and it starts controlling you. There are different ways through which you can intake this drug. You can crush the pill and take it through snorting or injecting. If the pill has a long-extending formulation, it tends to be more harmful.
The risk factors that include getting addicted to opioids are said below:
1. Poverty – Once you get addicted to opioids, you cannot resist purchasing them. It tends to increase with time. This results in poverty.
2. Unemployment –You are not on your best behavior when high on opioids. If you are not a person of sound mind, you lose your job and become unemployed. Unemployment eventually leads to poverty, hunger, and whatnot.
3. Heavy tobacco usage – Consumption of heavy tobacco is connected with taking the harmful opioid drug. Tobacco, when consumed with opioids, becomes more harmful than it is.
4. Loss of youth – If you get addicted at a very young age, you miss all the innocent times of your youth. Youth is known to be the most enjoyable time of your life. You can lose your youth for the addiction to opioids.
5. Anxiety or depression – There are heavy chances of drowning in deep depression or anxiety. Your addiction to opioids takes all the charge of your body and lets you sink in mentally and physically.
Addiction to opioids is no exception that it won’t show any symptoms. There are five symptoms through which you can better understand the addiction symptoms. They are highlighted below:
1. Slow breathing – As you keep increasing the dose of your opioid, your breathing rate gets slower. You cannot breathe at a normal rate as you used to. It harms you in every way.
2. Extreme drowsiness – The overdose of opioids contracts you from inside. It drains your energy, and as a result, you feel sleepy all night and day. No matter how important things are going on in your life, you don’t get the energy to pull yourself up. You start losing track of time.
3. Pale skin – Every drug in the world, on usage, brings a difference in your skin color. Our skin and its glow show how healthy we are from the inside. Hence, the more you take the drug, the more your skin reacts to its activation. The skin color starts turning blue or pale.
4. Not being able to talk – You become unable to talk when you are high on the overdose of opioids. Your words get jumbled and unclear. You start stammering. You tend to forget things which leads to your inability to talk.
5. Tremors – Sudden shaking of your arms or legs clearly shows the symptoms of overdose. You witness sudden tremors your body hits you with. Sometimes our body fails to handle the function of overdose silently, and it hits certain organs, resulting in sudden tremors.
6. Dark-coloured lips – Your lips start changing their color. It gets darkened with the extreme dependency on opioids.
The best way to avoid opioid dependence is to get the proper treatment with time. Getting proper treatment can make you avoid opioids. There are three treatments approved by FDA are:
1. Methadone –This medication helps you with withdrawal symptoms. It reduces cravings in people who are completely addicted to opioids. It is not available everywhere except in some clinics.
2. Buprenorphine – Buprenorphine is a detoxifying treatment and helps maintenance with the people addicted to it. It blocks and eliminates the withdrawal symptoms. This treatment reduces the ultimate desire to take opioids. It is available only with certified physicians.
3. Naltrexone – The medication provided by naltrexone stops the euphoric feeling of taking opioids. It is available in the form of a pill monthly.
Opioids are life-threatening drugs that become difficult to get out of. Managing pain by taking opioids is very harmful as they gradually take hold of our brain and control it. You lose hold of yourself. Opioid dependency can be life-threatening. Hence, it is very important to take professional help and physicians. It is very important to make this world a happy and safe place. Opioid dependency takes every chance to sink in from inside. Smart and professional physicians deal with the patients according to their situation. Hence, take a step forward to connect with NuLease Medical Solutions so that we can better understand your condition and help you.