Stages for Obtaining a Skilled Independent Visa Subclass 189
The Skilled Independent Visa Subclass 189 is a permanent residency visa designed under the General Skilled Migration program of the Department of Home Affairs. It allows overseas workers with skills in jobs with high demand in the Australian job market. There are three different streams, each of which has different eligibility requirements and application stages. Read this blog to know about the different stages in more detail.
What Benefits Does the Skilled Independent Visa Offer?
As a holder of the Skilled Independent Visa, you can enjoy the following benefits.
• You will be able to stay in Australia permanently.
• You can study a full-time course in Australia.
• You can also work full-time for an Australian employer.
• You will be able to access Medicare benefits. Medicare is the national healthcare program of Australia that reduces medical costs at public hospitals and nursing homes.
• After staying as a permanent resident, you will become eligible to apply for citizenship.
• You can travel abroad and return to Australia whenever you wish.
• Sponsoring visa applications of your eligible relatives will also be possible.
Know the Three Streams
Before you start your Visa Subclass 189 application, make sure you know all the details of each stream, as discussed here.
This stream is for applicants from any country except New Zealand and Hong Kong (SAR of the People’s Republic of China) who have the relevant skills to work in the Australian job industry. To apply for this stream, you must fulfil a minimum point requirement.
New Zealand Stream
This stream is granted to citizens from New Zealand who have stayed in Australia for 5 years and have contributed to the job market here.
Hong Kong Stream
If you come from Hong Kong or hold a British National Overseas Passport and have
demonstrated your commitment to Australian society, you can apply for this stream.
Take a Look at the Different Application Stages to Obtain Your Skilled Independent Visa
As an applicant, you will always want your application to be successful. For that, you must complete the following stages with great care.
Stage 1: Check if Your Nominated Occupation Is Present on the Skilled Occupation List
There are several skilled occupation lists designed by the Australian Department of Home Affairs, such as STSOL (Short-term Skilled Occupation List), ROL (Regional Occupation List), MLTSSL (Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List), etc.
You must check whether your nominated occupation is present on any of these lists. However, this stage is for those applying for the Points-tested Stream.
Stage 2: Make Sure You Fulfil the Eligibility Requirements
Several requirements are common for all three streams. Let us discuss those first.
• You and your family members have to meet the necessary health requirements. The Department may also ask your family members not included in the application to undergo health tests.
• All the applicants have to meet specific character requirements. Family members not included in the application may also be requested to submit character documents.
• You or your relatives must not have any debts to the Government of Australia at the time of application.
• There should be no record of visa cancellation or refusal.
• You must sign the Australian Values Statement.
For the Points-tested Stream, there are some specific requirements you have to meet.
• You must be invited to apply from the Department of Home Affairs. After assessing their Expression of Interest (EOI) documents, this permission is granted to the applicants.
• To show that you have skills in the nominated occupation, you must go through a skills assessment test.
• You must not be over 45 years old.
• Scoring a minimum of 65 points is necessary for this stream.
• You must have at least a competent level of English.
Specific requirements for the New Zealand Stream include the following.
• Meeting the minimum income requirements is an essential condition. If you have applied before 1 July 2021, make sure you have the financial records of the 4 completed years before the application. But if you have applied after this date, showing the financial records of the 3 completed years before the application will be required.
• You must hold a New Zealand Special Category Visa Subclass 444.
• You should have lived in Australia for at least 5 years.
There are also some unique requirements for the Hong Kong Stream. They are as follows.
• Holding a 485, 457, or 482 Visa is necessary.
• You must be a holder of either a Hong Kong or British National Overseas Passport.
• You should have obeyed all the conditions attached to the visa you have held.
• Living for 4 years in Australia is necessary.
• Having a functional level of English is another essential requirement.
Stage 3: Complete Several Steps Before Starting the Application
Before starting the application procedure, you must complete several necessary steps. One is taking the skills assessment if you apply for the Points-tested Stream. You must get a positive outcome. You will also have to submit an Expression of Interest for this stream through SkillSelect. After a complete assessment, the Department of Home Affairs will send you the invitation to apply.
Irrespective of the streams, you may undertake your health examinations at this stage if asked. Also, if you plan to take professional help, hire an immigration agent in Perth before starting the actual procedure.
Stage 4: Gather the Documents
Documents that are required to apply for all the streams include:
• Identity documents, including passport, proof of name change (if applicable), and a national id card
• Relevant relationship documents
• Character and health certificates
• Documents of your partner and dependent children (if they are included)
• Documents related to taking help from a migration consultant in Perth
Note that if you do not include dependent applicants, you must state valid reasons.
Specific documents required for the Points-tested Stream are as follows.
• A minimum of 6 in each IELTS test component to prove that you have a competent level of English
• Relevant skills assessment documents
• Relevant documents to prove your claims made in the Expression of Interest
To apply for the New Zealand Stream, you must provide:
• Residence documents, including utility bills, lease agreements, etc.
• Income documents for a specified period
For the Hong Kong Stream, make sure you have the following documents to submit.
• Residence documents, including rates notices, lease agreements, and utility service bills
• A minimum of 4.5 in each IELTS test component to prove that you have a functional level of English
Note that if you have documents in any language other than English, get them translated by a professional translator.
Stage 5: Complete the Application
Once you scan all the documents, you must now upload all the documents to complete your application.
Make sure you pay the application charge at this stage. For all the streams, this fee is AUD4115. Only in the case of New Zealand Stream, you have to pay the first 20% while applying and the remaining 80% at the time of the visa grant.
Stage 6: Complete the Post-application Steps
If the Department asks you for additional information, respond quickly.
Stage 7: Visa Outcome
Regardless of your 189 Visa Australia application outcome, you will be informed via email.
If you want smooth immigration to Perth, it is recommended to take professional guidance from a Registered Migration Agent Perth. Their in-depth knowledge and experience will help you achieve your desired outcome.
19 thoughts on “Stages for Obtaining a Skilled Independent Visa Subclass 189”
Great work! That is the kind of information that should be shared around the internet. Shame on the search engines for now not positioning this submit higher! Come on over and consult with my website . Thanks =)
Hello, Neat post. There is an issue together with your website in internet explorer, would check thisK IE nonetheless is the marketplace chief and a large element of other people will leave out your wonderful writing because of this problem.
There are some fascinating closing dates on this article but I don’t know if I see all of them middle to heart. There may be some validity however I will take maintain opinion till I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we would like more! Added to FeedBurner as well
You have observed very interesting details! ps decent site. “He that will not sail till all dangers are over must never put to sea.” by Thomas Fuller.
you are truly a good webmaster. The website loading speed is incredible. It seems that you are doing any unique trick. In addition, The contents are masterwork. you have done a magnificent process on this topic!
You have brought up a very great details , appreciate it for the post.
The very heart of your writing while sounding reasonable in the beginning, did not work well with me after some time. Somewhere throughout the paragraphs you were able to make me a believer but only for a while. I still have got a problem with your jumps in assumptions and you would do well to help fill in all those gaps. When you actually can accomplish that, I would surely end up being amazed.
As I website possessor I believe the content matter here is rattling fantastic , appreciate it for your hard work. You should keep it up forever! Best of luck.
F*ckin’ amazing things here. I am very glad to see your post. Thanks a lot and i am looking forward to contact you. Will you kindly drop me a mail?
Very efficiently written story. It will be supportive to anyone who employess it, as well as me. Keep doing what you are doing – i will definitely read more posts.
Respect to website author, some good information .
Spot on with this write-up, I really suppose this web site wants far more consideration. I’ll most likely be once more to learn far more, thanks for that info.
I like this web site so much, bookmarked. “To hold a pen is to be at war.” by Francois Marie Arouet Voltaire.
Good – I should certainly pronounce, impressed with your website. I had no trouble navigating through all tabs as well as related information ended up being truly easy to do to access. I recently found what I hoped for before you know it in the least. Quite unusual. Is likely to appreciate it for those who add forums or something, website theme . a tones way for your client to communicate. Nice task.
Howdy, i read your blog from time to time and i own a similar one and i was just wondering if you get a lot of spam remarks? If so how do you stop it, any plugin or anything you can advise? I get so much lately it’s driving me insane so any support is very much appreciated.
Hi there, i read your blog occasionally and i own a similar one and i was just curious if you get a lot of spam responses? If so how do you protect against it, any plugin or anything you can suggest? I get so much lately it’s driving me crazy so any support is very much appreciated.
Saved as a favorite, I really like your blog!
I will right away grab your rss as I can’t find your email subscription link or newsletter service. Do you have any? Kindly let me know in order that I could subscribe. Thanks.
It¦s actually a great and useful piece of information. I am happy that you shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.