Your Guide to Sustainable Home Décor
When designing the home, we often think about transforming the space into a safe and luxurious haven for our family. But, in the process of creating a luxurious and beautiful setting, we often overlook the sustainability part. We don’t usually think about what impact our way of living might have on the environment and wildlife.
Well, now is your time to rethink everything. After all, hurting the environment and wildlife doesn’t necessarily help us create a better future for the next generation to come. Hence, taking the sustainable route is the only way.
We understand the entire concept of sustainable living can feel intimidating. Therefore, taking it one step at a time is important. For starters, you can consider replacing your traditional home décor with sustainable home décor.
Benefits of using sustainable home décor
By using sustainable home décor, you are doing what is best for the environment. Here are some benefits associated with using sustainable home décor –
- Sustainability is not just limited to keeping the planet clean and safe. It is also associated with choosing materials that are safe for the health of your family. For instance, some home décor products may have airborne chemicals that can impact you and your family indirectly through polluting the residual water or resulting in excess waste and so on.
- By choosing sustainable products, you can maintain your mental well-being. This is especially true if you get inspired by nature quite often. It is seen that both active and passive contact with nature can benefit a person psychologically, emotionally, and socially.
- Your small act of purchasing sustainable products from sustainable businesses helps these companies make a greater impact on society. And not to forget, it helps them grow and expand their business, too.
What makes a sustainable home décor?
Sustainable home décor has a range of traits that supports the three pillars of sustainability – social, environmental, and economic. Here is a list of aspects that makes a home décor sustainable –
- Sustainable forestry comprises various standards that focus on the conservation of the forest. Many organizations like SFI or sustainable forestry initiative certify the products to help consumers differentiate the sustainable products from non-sustainable products to help them make an informed purchase.
- Volatile organic compounds or VOCs are airborne chemicals used in manufacturing various building materials, cleaning products, interior furnishing, and so on. VOCs in indoor environments have a greater impact than in outdoor ones. Sustainable home décor items are made using safe materials and have lower VOC emissions, making them acceptable for schools, homes, and healthcare facilities.
- Sustainable home décor items are built to last. Since they don’t get manufactured as often as non-sustainable products, there is a significant reduction in material, energy, manufacturing, packing, and other operations associated with manufacturing a product. Hence, the carbon footprint of sustainable products is quite low.
- Sustainable home décor items are made using safe, durable, and highly functional fabrics. These fibers respect the environment and have no dangerous dyes or scent that impacts humans, the environment, or wildlife.
- Sustainable home décor items are ethically made. This means the individuals responsible for creating such products are paid fair wages, aren’t child laborers, and work in a safe working environment.
- Sustainable product manufacturing firms establish practices that prevent them from generating excess waste. In fact, the waste generated through overproduction, defects, over-processing, etc., is reused or recycled to prevent the waste pile from growing.
Tips for choosing sustainable home décor
People spend most of their quality time indoors. Therefore, choosing a sustainable home décor item that enriches the way of living is equally important. Consider these tips for choosing sustainable home décor –
- While aesthetical appeal always remains the main focus when choosing home décor, it is worth noting the cost and life cycle of the product in question. Check whether or not the product you chose can be reused, recycled, or disposed of responsibly.
- Consider choosing timeless pieces that stand the test of changing trends without getting outdated. Also, ensure to consider a design, color, material, and style that resonates with your needs to prevent replacing it anytime sooner.
- Sustainable home décor comprises products that are made using reused, recycled, and responsibly sourced items. It is easy to find a variety of patterns, colors, textures, etc., in every style you can imagine. Therefore, never shy away from having fun while sustainable decorating.
With all the information right in front of you, it is now your turn to switch to sustainable living before it gets too late.
Connect with the Anchal Project to bring home sustainable home décor that will not only transform your home with subtlety but help you attain peace of mind that you are no longer hurting the environment and wildlife with your way of living.